Friday, January 18, 2013

altered perception

Snow sometimes alters our perception on a landscape-scale, when a blanket of deep snow conceals familiar landmarks in a way that can be delightfully disorienting.

Unless one is trying to get from Point A to Point B, in which case the disorientation may be slightly less than delightful.

Until a familiar tree or stone appears... 


...and instantly the entire landscape clicks into place again.

~~~

Snow can also transform tiny, familiar things into something
new and strange.

I admired this tall plant with its delicately balanced collection of loose snow for some time before I suddenly recognized it as an old friend;

one of the native asters whose flowers herald the arrival  of Autumn.



From now on, the Autumn asters will also remind me of Winter.

~~~~~


6 comments:

  1. Lovely photos, now that's what you call snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming over, Kath! Yes, fresh snow is so much fun to photograph :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, hurray! So happy to discover that you've started a blog. Looking forward to seeing your world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement, Ann! I'm hoping to have some fun :)

      Delete
  3. I grew up in the snow in CO, but have been transplanted to Vegas, where we get a smattering on the distant mountains. I do miss the snow - OK, maybe for a minute or two, once I get out in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are times when "on distant mountains" is the ONLY place I would enjoy seeing snow ;)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.