Friday, January 17, 2014

in a rut


In the past two weeks



I have baked this apple and cranberry tea cake



 three times.

Perhaps not every rut is a bad place to be?

~~~

The recipe is Marian Burros' Plum Torte, with minimal modification which varies every time I make it. This is a very simple and adjustable recipe.

The result when made with plums is what I would call a cobbler, with gooey pockets of fruitiness scattered in a plain cake. When made with apples, or with apples and cranberries as above (and above, and above), I would describe it as a fruited teacake. It is not overly sweet and has an even, dense texture. It's a nice take-along cake, and a good choice for a packed lunch that may be jostled a bit in a pocket or backpack.

My only advice is to watch the baking time toward the end, as a full hour may result in a slightly overdone edge. I check it at 45 minutes, and then every 5 minutes til a knife or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

If you try it, please come back and share!
I'd love to hear more ways to play with this recipe.
~~~~~

3 comments:

  1. whoa! do you ship? I thought I recognized that first picture. I've made this recipe from Burros with prune plums in late summer, and with other fruit, peaches,I think, and apples, at other times. It's very very good. And you can freeze it, if you can't stop yourself from baking it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of packing up cakes and mailing them off...sending joy into the world :)
      This recipe really IS delicious with plums! I only had one opportunity to make it that way last Autumn, but I'll certainly be watching for those plums to come around again this year! And I will bake extras and freeze. Yum. Wish I had one to defrost right now!

      Delete
  2. Wow, that looks so good! I'd say it's a good rut.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.