Wednesday, September 24, 2014

roof and sky

As I try to work through a long and growing list of prioritized pre-Winter projects,
I'm trying not to be distracted by a feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Three weeks ago I had a property inspection for my homeowner's insurance, and every day since I've checked the mail, hoping for The Letter.
The Letter will tell me if there is something about my little cottage in the woods that has shocked and alarmed someone sitting in an office in Boston.
And if so, exactly what I can do to make that person feel better.

I wish The Letter would just arrive, already. Because whatever "improvement" is required - and I hope very much it is not another list - I'd rather know now, so I can try to get it done before Winter.

My best/worst guess: something involving the roof.

So while I wait to hear the news
(as in "new shingles" vs. "new roof")
I've been thinking about - guess what? -
Roofs. Or rooves. Whichever you like.

~~~


When it comes to building,
I have favorite parts and tough parts.
One of my very favorite things is opening up a wall
to put in a window or door.

(After many years, my tiny house now has
very little wall and very much window.)

And one of the hardest things for me
is closing a roof.
When I built the screen porch years ago
(I did much of that project myself)
it was touch and go at one point
whether I could bring myself to actually put a roof on
or if I would just leave the rafters
and the view into the forest canopy.

I did put the roof on, and it made it much easier
to sleep on the porch during thunderstorms.
But the decision could have gone either way.

When the new goat barn was built this Spring,
I was reminded of building the screenporch.
And when the builders stopped for lunch,


I ran out and quickly snapped a few pictures
of a familiar view that was about to disappear.







~~~

If I have to tear up the roof on my house,
I won't see the sky during the construction process
because the ceiling will still be in place.

But if it is within reason
(cost-wise, I mean; of course it is perfectly reasonable to wish to see the sky),

maybe I will add a skylight.
~~~~~

13 comments:

  1. I hope that the insurance company just loves your house - no changes. But, I am incredibly impressed with your many many talents! I didn't fully know what a carpenter you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I used to be able to do a lot more than I now can, but it was always a matter of necessity more than skill. And now, although I admit I considered just reshingling the roof myself, it wouldn't be a good idea. Even what I can do, I do slowly...and roofing isn't something you want to putter at once it's begun.
      But if I have to hire someone anyway, adding a skylight to the project would be the sweetener.

      Delete
  2. I'm hoping for a sweet letter, with no instructions!!! Like KB above, you amaze me with what you can do! Here's to no letter, Quinn - or at least something easily tackled!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this makes my trials with the HOA look very trivial! but I love the idea of a skylight, one of my favorite features in any home. And color me enormously impressed at your building talent, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers the letter isn't bad news; the new roof is done well the sky light is nifty; good health; and plenty of good food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Assuming the health and food aspect includes al the animals, I think you've covered all the bases - thanks! :)

      Delete
  5. Did I omit to say what art you produced in your pix, too. Well, we know what an eye you have, but this just reminded me very forcibly what visual talent you have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our bedroom has skylights ... if you're prepared for the thunderous drumming of rain on glass in bad weather then go for it ... I can highly recommend falling asleep while watching the stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for weighing in on the skylight, Annie!

      Delete
  7. Oh, don't worry too much about it. I'm sure the letter will bear good news. If it's another long list of improvements, I know you'll do well following through. Hahaha! Anyway, the roof is looking pretty good. The idea of installing a skylight is good. I hope you go through with it. All the best, Quinn! Keep us updated. :)

    Pleasance Faast @ Shelton Roofing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment! I can't tell you how much I love it that a roofer is telling me not to worry about my roof. Thank you! :)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.