Saturday, October 18, 2014

Saturday Sock Story


These socks - or as they later became known, Those Socks, or even Those Strangely Cursed and Wretched Socks - have been haunting me since 2010.

These socks - which were already the third version of an experiment - were my Portable Project during a much-anticipated long weekend of enjoyable and interesting research (on a boat, on the ocean: previously, two of my favorite places to be). Unfortunately, the weekend turned out to be not very enjoyable and not even very interesting - and that is really saying something, because I am quite good at being interested in all sorts of things.


The experience was a grim sort of personal watershed for me. When I was (finally, exhaustedly, gratefully) back on shore, I had to admit: my standards for a minimum level of physical comfort had shifted. In fact, I'm not sure I really had such standards earlier in my life. Previously, physically challenging was Good, rustic was Good, tough was Good. And I still don't need luxury or frills. But I do need to be able to move freely, to stretch fully, to rest quietly in a mostly painless position.

Quite a few nebulous lifelong dreams of future work opportunities, distant travel, and physical adventure died that weekend.

Ah, well. These things happen.

Back to the socks!

At some point on the boat, trying to focus my mind by knitting - which can be quite a useful meditative tool, am I right, knitters? - the stitch count was suddenly off by one.
No problem, just pull out the error and carry on, yes?


No. The lace stitches were tricky to get back on the needles. Row after row was lost. The project bag was finally stashed away, safe from the rain dripping through the deck and onto my bunk via a dangling light bulb, to await later repair.

Do your clothes become imbued with associations? Whether the socks had become permanently tainted by the weekend, or whether they had simply been cursed by a passing troll, I don't know, but they resisted all subsequent efforts to get them back on track. And the part that had been properly knitted looked quite nice! So I also couldn't bring myself to rip them out and repurpose the yarn.

Stuck.

Enter the WIPCrackAway KAL!

One week ago, bolstered by the completion of my first WIPCrackAway project...

The Forgotten Orange Leaves of 2012...DONE!

...I tackled these damned wretched red socks again.

And 7 days later, after one final and incomprehensible kitchenering glitch that meant ripping out and redoing both toes (?!), I cast off and declared these socks DONE.
I have never felt more relieved to be finished with a knitting project. Whew.


And onward!
~~~~~

20 comments:

  1. You've made me hate these socks too. But it's hard to stay angry when they're so beautiful!! The weekend boat trip sounds horrible, even if the only image you've provided is water dripping down the light bulb, which is a pretty good image. I once knit a pink scarf in lace. The yarn had annoying tiny sequins and when I realized I had a mistake and tried to rip it back, I couldn't get the stitches undone because of the sequins. I gave up. I thought I had thrown the whole scarf in the garbage since I couldn't salvage it, so you can imagine my dismay when I recently came across it in my box of WIP. grrr Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I certainly CAN imagine your dismay! Wow.

      Delete
  2. I always have said if I pour that much of my soul into making beautiful socks like "damned wretched" red socks, I would have to wear them on TOP of my shoes, so that everyone was SURE to see them. Glad you're back on dry land and DONE with those gorgeous socks. I'm sure they have felt VERY rewarding to wear. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes, I suppose handknit socks are not a very public expression of style, more personal satisfaction...just one slight step up from knowing one is wearing nice undies! ;)

      Delete
  3. Despite the pain and anguish, I think your socks turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I owe it all to the Malabrigo :)

      Delete
  4. Amazing socks even more amazing a person made them. To me they are like being in awe of an original copy of the US Constitution, paper and ship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. What size shoes do you wear, and how do you feel about handwashing? I think you may need a pair of handknit socks!

      Delete
  5. They certainly are beautiful socks and I love the lacy pattern. I never knitted socks, but can imagine that it must be quite a confusing chore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, socks are my favorite thing to knit - there is something a little magical about the whole process, plus the practical advantage of getting a proper fit. That's why the ongoing difficulty with these socks was so baffling and rather frustrating. SO glad they are done now! :)

      Delete
  6. They are beautiful, I'm glad you gave them a second chance.I hope, once you wear them, you will have much happier and cozier associations with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Yes, I think now they will be associated with blog-friends and the fun of an online knit-a-long!

      Delete
  7. As someone who doesn't know how to knit, I think that your socks are miraculous! Incredible! Gorgeous!

    Like you, I have all sorts of physical limitations... and I've had them since I was 25 or so. So, it comes as no surprise that being on a boat is uncomfortable. I've learned, through my dastardly spine, to focus on what I can do rather than what I can't. It seems that you are similar... in fact, I am constantly amazed by your very wide array of talents. From building, to raising goats, to cooking, to knitting! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, KB, I often think when I read your blog that we are very much alike, both in having long experience with physical limitations and in our attitude about working with and around pain and limitations to do the things we love. But...I was never the kind of athlete you are, KB - not on my best day in my best year! I am always blown away by your adventures! In the past, Piper occasionally had an opportunity to join me on trailrides (when I was riding a horse, not a bike), but how she would revel in the daily mountain runs you share with Shyla :)

      Delete
  8. Congratulations! They're beautiful! I feel your pain though. Finding a problem in such an intricate pattern can be tough! I have a pair of socks that have been in timeout for at least six years. I've been thinking about them and how...at this point...it might be better to rip out the one sock and start over with a fresh project. Congrats, again! They turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've ripped out one project as part of the WIPCrackAway KAL, and another is teetering on the brink - an entire child's sweater that just isn't making me happy. I think it's going to become yarn again. Sometimes ripping and repurposing IS progress!

      Delete
  9. Although THAT weekend turned out to not be what you imagined, I'm glad you made it back safe and sound, and after all these years were able to finish THOSE socks. Knitting makes no sense to me at all. Your socks turned out great and I love the photo with the leaves. :) Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tammy - and your comment on knitting made me laugh, because I find crochet equally mysterious! I know some people can do both knitting and crochet, but I guess you and I are not those people ;)

      Delete
  10. But they are gorgeous!! I love the stitch pattern and the way the heel is worked too. Just love them. What is the name of the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine - I'm not sure if I followed the original pattern for the heel but the sock pattern is called "No Purl Monkey" - it's a modification of the original "Monkey" pattern by CookieA. Here's a link to the (free) original Monkey:

      http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTmonkey.html

      and here is the Ravelry page with a handy chart for No Purls:

      http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/no-purl-monkeys

      Are you on Ravelry? I don't know if the link will work if you aren't, so let me know if you can't access it and I can email a screenshot or something! :)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.